Update to the Campbells/Swanson Mold Thing.

I had almost forgotten about that whole “mold in my broth” incident. To refresh your memory, I opened a box of chicken broth, and it contained a huge, inch-thick sheet of mold across the surface of the broth. It was SO gross. I contacted Campbells/Swanson (didn’t know they were the same company until I was on hold, listening to, “Mmm, Mmm, Good!” in muzak form) and they apologized, and said they’d send me some coupons the next day. The end. I haven’t even thought about it, until I received a comment this morning on that blog post:

Everyone look at the container picture toward the bottom. There is a large slice in the container that was almost certainly caused by a stock boy slicing the shrink wrap off the entire case. This would cause oxygen to get into container which would then produce mold. This can happen to any carton variety broth.

Huh! Well, maybe that was the case. I decided to look at the original images and zoom in on the area she mentioned. And you know what? I think she’s right. I do see what may be a slice in the packaging. At first, I thought it was just a wrinkle, but it may in fact be a slice. I figured the packaging must have been compromised in some way. That makes perfect sense. Good sleuthing, there!

Then I got curious as to why this random person was so interested in what happened, and I took a closer look at their email. Superman@hotmail.com Really? Really? Your email address is superman@hotmail.com? Not superman23475? It seemed fishy. So I looked at the IP address. Aha! My mystery problem solving reader is someone affiliated with Campbells. And they didn’t get here by accident, either – they got here via a very specific Google search.

Uhhhh…why the game playing? Why is Campbells hiding behind a fake email address, leaving me a comment anonymously? Is THAT how they handle bad press? I never said Campbells/Swansons was at fault for anything – why all the blatant ass-covering? Why is it SO HARD for someone from Campbells/Swanson to just say, “Yeah, that was GROSS! It almost certainly happened after it left our warehouse, but we feel bad that your dinner was ruined, so here’s a coupon, because we’re cool like that.” Just, y’know, some ACKNOWLEDGEMENT. There’s no need to be underhanded and slimy about it. What the hell, man?

And I never got my coupons!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Possibly Related

Comments

1. Joelle says:

ok, seriously. How tacky. That’s disappointing from such a longstanding American brand. Shame on you, Campbell’s.

2. Tracie says:

It’s pretty silly that they thought they could even BE anonymous about it while posting from a Campbell’s IP address. It kind of offends me that they clearly must think we (us mom bloggers) are too stupid to figure it out…

3. Nini says:

Ugh, that is messed up on so many levels!!

4. Donna says:

Heh…amateurs…don’t know they are dealing with the original internet sleuthmaster…

5. I complained about phone book delivery (how I wish it was opt-in only rather than having to jump through hoops to opt out) on my little no-name blog and got several comments right away from invalid emails too. And the one person who did leave a valid email was affiliated with Yellow Book. Since these people weren’t regular readers or the type of people who would normally read my blog, I am convinced that they search these types of things out. So silly. Looks like it happens with other companies too. Seriously – how stupid do they think we are?

6. Lisa says:

What bothers me more is that did they actually think that, in this tech savvy world, that their IP address couldn’t be found out – furthermore that when people find out who they are, that they won’t call them out?!?!?!?!

this is just so wrong on so many levels. and borderlines unethical business practices IMHO. Kinda makes me want to stop buying products/stop using services of companies who do this.

7. How annoying and naive of them to try something like that! It also seems somewhat underhanded to try to explain away a problem by posing as someone who just happened along…that’s BS.

I recently called Proctor and Gamble to complain my Dawn dish detergent wasn’t sudsy (I like my bubbles and I’m such a hausfrau) and I had coupons within 3-4 days.

8. Amy says:

That is just unspeakably NASTY first of all! Second, I think you should broadcast this everywhere you can find a place to broadcast it so they get some FABULOUS MADvertising! That just stinks that a company that is a household name would stoop to such petty levels to just cover their own backsides instead of just making it right with a customer. Companies this day and time have absolutely NO idea what good customer service is. What the heck happened to “the customer is always right?!?!?!”

9. Kim says:

what a bunch of sneaks! shame on you Campbells!

10. Noelle says:

OMG! That’s is crazy! You would think a company like that would have at least have the balls to own their mistake. It’s sooooo DISGUSTING what happened and has made me re-think getting their products because I now vomit a little every time I think of your last blog on it. lol But really, I do!

11. Noelle says:

Oh yeah and I’m with Amy…. broadcast that nastiness!!! Screw balloon hoax’s and let people know what might be in their chicken broth! I’d rather know that as a consumer.

12. Christy says:

Laura, they fear you! They know you have many followers who will steer clear of the chicken broth.

Hey Campbell’s! You are lame!

13. Mary says:

How slimy. Just like the soup!

They clearly had *no* idea who they were messing with. And yes, how incredibly naive to not think you could sniff them out!

14. Colleen says:

Time to call the Consumer Help dept. at your local news station – this is worthy of an investigation…or at least worthy of giving Campbell’s and their sleazy tactics a hard time.

15. Britt says:

Gross! Their behavior is worse than mold in your broth!

16. Amanda says:

I opened a box of the same chicken broth, poured some in a bowl and heated it up in the Microwave and ate it. sealed the lid back good, put in the refrigerator. Almost a week later I snapped open the box and poured it in a pot, this clump of nasty stuff, we thought was chicken meat, came out. I called them and they asked me a bunch of questions, how long had it been open, was lid on tight, etc. Well I would hope that it would stay good for more than a week since on the box it says 14 day. They offered me coupon, not sure if I will ever get them either, but the point I am worried about is if I ate this broth am I going to get sick or is something going to pop up months later from eating mold. Does anyone know if digestion this type of mold is harmful? They didn’t seem worried about it at all. I will not be buying their stuff again. Matter of fact, I think I might just call a hospital and ask them the effects of it if any. Or maybe a news channel, since they were so easily rude and uncaring about it.

17. Boyles says:

Just thought I would post a comment concernng Swanson/Campbell. At the beginning of May, 2012, I opened a box of the Swanson Chicken Broth to boil my chicken for dinner and to my disbelief, the contents that i was pouring out of the box was red and like blood, so I took a glance at the box, thinking did I pick up and open the wrong box, but it was the chicken broth, so I started pouring again. Once again, a bloody substance started pouring out, plus a foreign object; with the foreign object being of life like, human and or animal. I contacted Swanson/Campbell after hours hot line immediately and was told that someone would call me back, but I had to call them back on Thursday, with the report not even being processed. After explaining the issue to several different individuals, I was then told that I would receive a call back from a supervisor, which I did and that I would receive a retrieval package, compensation for my time and results of what I had found from the lab. At the beginning of the next week, I received the retrieval documents and a $12.00 check for my inconvenience, which I have yet to cash, since the broth, chicken and time loss from work, is much more than $12.00. I have contacted Swanson/Campbell several times requesting a copy of the report, in which they still haven’t sent me, because if I am filing a “CLAIM”, their procedure is to “WITHHOLD” the report until they can make restitution. This is extremely disturbing, since I have been sick for a month and have been to the ER & still being treated for upper respiratory infection, along with muscle pains. At this point, it looks like legal action against Swanson/Campbell’s may be my only option, since no one with the National known company will respond or assist me in getting needed answers.